[Diy_efi] pic based afm -> maf conversion

Frey, Richard K rfrey
Wed Jan 18 16:37:45 UTC 2006

Sounds like you understand the merits of each.  I think the application
might determine the need.  Personally, I would not be married to a maf
unless I was wanted to run right at stoich or leaner in a gas mileage
attempt.  The map is an easier install and works fine, GM has used 'em
for years but in the end fleet gas mileage is important so the switch
will (has?) occur(ed) because if you want super control over your
mixture a maf will work better.  Yes, a maf is more restrictive but is
the difference significant?  A common choice of maf in custom
applications is the one from a 5.0L mustang as it has a bigger bore and
will flow more air and is readily and cheaply available.  I think the hp
limit of that maf is about 500 or so hp so if less than that I think it
would be a good choice.

But then again, I am no car expert,

Rick frey

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
On Behalf Of Ashley Evans
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:26 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] pic based afm -> maf conversion

Yes AFM is the flap device.

It's not Airflow that's required anyway.  It's air mass.  I'll rephrase
my question.

Does anybody have any comments on the relative merits of MAF vs. MAP,
given that calculation is required to generate the correct information
for the ECU?

Personally I would have thought that the calculation is prone to error
and the MAF will give a more accurate reading.  Having said that, MAP
will mean there's no restriction on the intake which would obviously be
more efficient.

But, I'm no car expert... hence my original question.

Ashley

Steve Ravet wrote:

are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the
contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy
the information in any medium.  Thank you.