[Diy_efi] pic based afm -> maf conversion

Tom Visel five10man
Wed Jan 18 19:22:54 UTC 2006

Manifold pressure vs. RPM (speed-density) gives you a very handy way of
giving fine control over fueling in known areas where a MAF interpreter
would not.  MAF lets you play without paying as much, but if the
playing's over, the keenest edge will be found with a speed density
system tuned using a wide-band O2.  Either way, you would have to
eliminate or make constant the ECM's barometric pressure input, as this
would be compensated for twice otherwise - once in your black box and
once when the computer tries to figure it into what it thinks is the VAF
(vane air flow or volume air flow) sensor's output.

BTW, the reason for the ubiquity of MAFs on modern vehicles is for
tighter emissions controls: to allow for the measurement of EGR flow,
and to allow for a MAP sensor as a redundant system and for rationality
checks to see if the MAF's calibration is drifting.  Almost every
vehicle has both a MAF and a MAP these days (at least in North America.)

TomV