[Diy_efi] pic based afm -> maf conversion

Tom Visel five10man
Wed Jan 18 23:46:10 UTC 2006

"very similar info to what a  AFM would" ... but not the same.  If
"close enough" tuning were OK, the AFM would still be there, right?

The output curves in the test rig described will have a certain
relationship for one density of air - barometric pressure, temp,
humidity - and another relationship altogether when the density
changes.  The same number of CFM that max out the AFM's output could be
so dense that the MAF is maxed out, too, or (at altitude, on a summer
day) they could make for a much smaller (raw) reading from that same
MAF.  That's the primary weakness in vane air flow meters - they measure
volume, not mass.  Most L-Jet based systems have some way to determine
barometric pressure and intake air temp - this last usually in the AFM,
by the way - so they can derive the mass of the air.  Since the sensor
will be giving a signal that relates to the air mass, a way must be
found to remove the barometric pressure measurement (the only remaining
measurement external to the now-absent AFM) from the computer's
calculations.

A couple of thoughts:

If you remove the baro sensor (by making its value constant,) the
computer will not - if it were going to - advance or retard the timing
deal - the computer might not do any futzing with the timing anyway
based on baro readings.  It could be a problem manifested as lack of
torque (high altitude) or pinging (low altitude.)  Probably nothing, but
the only way out of it would be to remove the baro component from your
MAF signal before supplying it to the ECM.  Any takers on this last one?

If the ECM is counting on air door overswing to provide acceleration
enrichment, the engine may end up with a stumble on sudden throttle
opening, perhaps necessitating the watching of the MAF or TPS for rapid
increases.

In most of the systems I've dealt with, air temp has more influence on
spark control than fuel.  Does your old AFM have the ACT/IAT sensor
built into it?  IDK about your Bosch sensor, but there are MAFs out
there that have ACT sensors as part of the package.  If it keeps your
ECM from getting stupid and going into damage control mode, it would be
worth the effort to include an air charge temp sensor.

TomV