[Diy_efi] 555 Timer controlled EFI, summary of off list messages - long

Geoff Harrison geoff_h
Fri Jan 20 05:14:46 UTC 2006

Hi All. This is a summary of "off list" discussions, incuding
some 12 months ago, for ref.
The only reason they were off list, was due to attachments. If
any one still wants drawings,
and they are not on the DIY-EFI site, let me know, and I will
forward such.

Geoff H

>From John Smith 2 Jan 06

I have been trying to find info on setting up a PC-based or
scatch-built
analog EFI system for weeks now. So far I have come up empty.
This place is
the nearest I'v come to a solution. I looked through the
archives before
subscribing and the handful of relevant threads I found fizzled
before
concluding(9 months ago). I have two main questions of my own:
What happened to Al Lipper's PC-based and 8051-based projects
and all the
associated files? I know a server problem fragged them or
somethingbut didnt
someone somewhere have a copy or mirror it?

What about a simple 555 chip based injector controller? I saw a
few
references, but they quickly shifted focus to digital.

This EFI would be used as a universal testing tool for multiple
engines, but
initially it will be used on a single cylinder turbocharged
engine.

>From John Smith 2 Jan 06

OK, I found most of the PC-based stuff on a university FTP
server somewhere
in Cananda, but the 8051 is still MIA as well as the 555 chip
info. Upon
seeing the schematics for the PC method's adapter hardware, I've
decided to
focus on the simpler analog method. Does anyone recommendations
for this? I
need the system to be able to richen the mixture based on
manifold
pressure(turbocharged). It does not need EGO.

Also, if I can do it, I am also considering using an OEM ecu and
retrofitting it for a single cylinder. Would a GM-based unit be
better than
any other?

>From Geoff Harrison 13 Jan 06.

John,
I had a look at using a 555 timer some time ago. My ideas were
for a multi cyl, using GM sensors. And an o2 sensor to provide
feed back to close the loop.
If your still interested I could email block diagrams etc. I
must stress however, the ideas have
not been put into practise yet.
Geoff

>From Andrew Hopton 15 Jan 06

Hey Geoff, I have had some thoughts along these lines too, and I
would
love to see your stuff.
Andrew.

>From Geoff Harrison, a summary of posts 12 months ago, for those
who missed them.

Geoff Harrison wrote:
> [...]
> Date:
> Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:33:30 +1100
> To:
> "Andrew Hopton" <ahopton at optusnet.com.au>
>
> To:
> "Andrew Hopton" <ahopton at optusnet.com.au>
>

> Hi Andrew,
>
> This is the basic idea. The 555 is the block in the centre. I
> Have other
> drawings to follow.
> One reason why I haven't pursued the idea is that if you use
> GM
> transducers, you may as well use
> the GM harness, so why not use the GM controller. Start with
> an EPROM
> from an engine close to what you
> are building, and remap as required.
>
> It does have merit though, tuning with a screwdriver is
> quicker than
> burning EPROM's.
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff.
>
> PS that was a good link re the 700R4s. Lots of people think
> they are
> crap cause they know the feel
> of a trimatic or BW. Mine aint so bad after all.

> Emailing: 555 controller.GIF
> From:
> "Geoff Harrison" <geoff_h at smartchat.net.au>
> Date:
> Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:46:32 +1100
> To:
> "Andrew Hopton" <ahopton at optusnet.com.au>
>
> To:
> "Andrew Hopton" <ahopton at optusnet.com.au>
>

> Nothing new in this bit! I can't find the latest drawing.
>
> If you have a look at the 555 timer, you will see the
> resistive part of
> the time constant
> goes to B+. All the engine sensors go to ground. The TPS could
> be
> rewired, however
> I wanted to "adjust" that value for temp (cold start in
> particular)
>
> Geoff

> Fw: [Diy_efi] 555 timers
> From:
> "Geoff Harrison" <geoff_h at smartchat.net.au>
> Date:
> Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:20:26 +1100
> To:
> "Andrew Hopton" <ahopton at optusnet.com.au>
>
> To:
> "Andrew Hopton" <ahopton at optusnet.com.au>
>

> Andrew, there are some good points in this post made some time
> ago.
> (something went wrong with the list - we had our own little
> thing going)
>
> To trigger the 555, from a Kettering ign system, a toroidal
> transformer
> with 22t on the secondary, and 1 turn on the primary, will
> give a pulse
> of about 0.2 volts. This was tried on my wife's Barina of all
> things.
> The primary winding is the B+ lead on the ign coil, passed
> through the
> toroid once. In reality, you need 40-50 turns on the secondary

Thanks, Geoff.  Looking forward to wading in ...
Cheers.

>From John Smith 16 Jan 06

Really? That would be great! I just put together a 555
monostable with a
TIP3055 transistor on the output and it triggers an injector
just fine with
only a 9v battery. I'm looking to either use a manifold pressure
or mass
airflow sensor to control the width. I already have the mass
air...

>From Mark Krawczuk 16 Jan 2006

hi, i dont know that much about electronics, but would it help
having a
faster switching transistor ?
mark k

>From SK Rahman 16 Jan 2006

Hello,
I saw your post in the DIY-EFI list about a simple 555 based
EFI.
Since long been planning to do el-simple EFI for a 150 CC
engine. I
would be glad if you can send me the some information (block
diagram
etc)

Sorry for the personal mail though

Regards

On 1/16/06, Geoff Harrison <geoff_h at smartchat.net.au> wrote:
> Hi, wade through this lot.
> A problem you may have is getting the injectors to fire
> several
> times per rev.
> If you can get sufficient fuel on one "shot" per rev, you're
> on
> the way.
> If its a two stroke, no problem.
Thank you Geoff,

Once I have concrete plans I will start posting in the list.

In the mean time just thought of taking our opinion on the this.

To start with

1) I am not sure why the injector needs to fire several times
per rev
since in normal four stroke cycle there is one once you need to
put in
the mixture.
2) I am looking forward with the idea like a small electronic
carb to
start with that will give me more control with AF than with
carb. So I
am planning to modify the carb for the same.
I am planning to keep the same configuration of the carb for
idle
burn. The FI will start the action the moment I will pull the
throttle
i.e FI instead of main jet. Injector firing will be controlled
with
the resistance value of the throttle and may be other inputs.

I would appreciate if you can pour down your opinion on this.

Regards

>From John Smith 17 Jan 06

The MAP sensor would actually be easier for me since I can hook
it up and
measure the output while running it through the pressure range.
The tough
part is finding a positive pressure MAP without having to buy
anything. The
MAF is tougher because I need a flowbench to test it, but can
probably do
some extrapolation to rough out the CFM vs MAF
voltage/resistance. Its a MAF
from an '89-90 240SX.