[Diy_efi] MAP vacuum signal isolation?

Becker, Damon Damon damonb
Tue Jan 24 17:45:10 UTC 2006

I'll weigh in with my experiences.

I NEVER tee a MAP line.  It introduces potential reliability issues into
a mission-critical sensor's vacuum signal.   The other reason I don't do
this is I want to minimize the length of tube to optimize the MAP
sensor's reaction time.  Believe it or not, longer lines do make a
tangible difference during transient manifold pressure conditions.

As for the vacuum advance diaphragm, I would imagine the answer is yes,
it creates interaction issues in your setup.

As for where to tap, do NOT tap near a runner in the plenum!  You will
get an oscillating signal, even if you aren't on the runner itself.  You
just have to be close.  You need the tap in a deep, dark corner of the
manifold away from the runners for a smooth-as-possible vacuum signal.

Those are my thoughts.

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
On Behalf Of Geddes, Brian J
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:37 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] MAP vacuum signal isolation?

I think the answer is "yes", but I'll be curious to hear some opinions.

But, I'd like to expand on the question a bit.  Where is the ideal spot
to source the MAP signal from?  On my V6 setup, I am sourcing my MAP
signal from what used to be a crankcase ventilation passage, which
connects to all 6 intake runners about an inch upstream of the intake
valves.  Would it be better to source from further up in the plenum,
like just after the throttle?  Or does it matter?