[Diy_efi] Re: Fuel injected small engines

John Smith dirtrider218
Fri Jan 27 19:55:06 UTC 2006

I'm currently working on putting turbo/EFI on a 10hp(450cc) Briggs right
now. Look at the archive back through January and you'll find a bunch of
posts. I have a Ford low impedance 30lb/hr injector that I will be operating
with a simple 555 monostable and a TIP3055 power transistor. The timing
resistor wil be the TPS on a Nissan throttlebody I have. Pulse width will
only be controlled by throttle position, not actual airflow. It will
probably flood if the throttle is snapped open. It will also likely run
extremely rich until boost kicks in. The 555 will be triggered with a photo
interrrupter on the crankshaft. That means that it will be a sort of batch
fire system injecting half the fuel on every crank rotation. I also have a
small 2:1 belt drive out of a photocopier that I could use to make the
injector fire only on the intake stroke, but that will be more work. The
limited control a non-digital ECU has means injector timing is almost
non-adjustable in relation to crank position. Now that I think about it, I
may try to find the whole EFI system from a latemodel streetbike. My goal is
simply to make as much power as I can before the engine fails; usability is
not really a concern.

For a boosted Kohler pulling engine, you could use either EFI or a carb. If
you want to intercool it(highly recommended, esp w/air cooled engines), you
can still use a carb. It will have to be blow-through. You need a large bike
carburetor with a Nitrophyl float and a fuel pump with a 1:1 boost
referencing pressure regulator. The carb will probably need other
modifications unless you put the whole thing in an airtight enclosure, which
also works. Just be sure you have a head plate holding the top of the engine
down....