[Diy_efi] some pictures...

WSCowell at aol.com WSCowell
Tue Jul 4 18:13:05 UTC 2006

In a message dated 04/07/2006 18:10:06 GMT Standard Time,  niche at iinet.net.au
writes:
Ear cant  discriminate anything useful beyond about 16,000 rpm, at that rate
for a  small turbo it wouldnt develop much boost, what you are likely hearing
is  low order oscillations, resonant cavity either inlet or exhaust but
certainly  not
anything near turbo spin rate !  Much like the F1 motors, when  they spin at
19,000rpm,
you dont hear the motors at all, you hear the  gearboxes and the layshafts
etc etc

Mike, I'm puzzled.  You may be right about the real noise coming from  the
gearbox etc, although having been close to "only" F3000 engines I don't  believe
you're correct.  Where I want to query what you say is the maths  about what
the human ear can hear.

A V8 turning at 19000rpm experiences 4 firing pulses every rotation,
therefore 4*19000/60 pulses every second = about 1300 Hz.  This is well  within the
human ear's response, wouldn't you agree?  :-)

I accept of course that it's not strictly relevant to the turbo rebuild
theme, being 5 to 10 times slower than a turbo spins at.....

Will
Cambridge, UK