[Diy_efi] turbo

Ian Molton spyro
Wed Jul 5 14:51:21 UTC 2006

Bill Washington wrote:
> Ian,
>    The Bearing balls could have ended up in your sump ..... have you
> checked there? or in the oil return line...

I havent - the car isnt worth enough to make doing a complete engine
rebuild economical. This was a speculative rebuild in the hope that it
would work without a big cash injection. If they're inthe return line,
they must be glued in :-) (the line is huge, like 10mm dia., and about
8cm long).

I imagine by now if they were in the sump, they will probably have found
their way into the oil filter :-)

Either way, its running again, and I put a nice guage on the turbo line
so I can watch the oil pressure.

I'll change the filter next oil change and I'll filter the sump oil to
see if anything turns up. should be safe enough I recon.

On another note, the 280 project is comming along. more pictures on my
page (http://www.mnementh.co.uk/datsun/) showing the drivers door being
stripped for repair / painting. only two dings in it, neither serious.

What I would like to know is how to handle 'pitting'. I can see that
unless its done right, its going to be a nightmare, rusting under the
paint. my strategy right now is to take it back using a steel brush in a
drill and sandpapering the surface afterwards. then filling any
uneven-ness from deep pits.