[Diy_efi] IAC whistles at idle

Stew Pididiot stewpididiot
Wed Jul 5 22:22:09 UTC 2006

Thanks for the info.  There is an adapter plate on the car between the TBI
and the intake, which would probably have the same effect as a spacer--so
maybe that is the cause.

Is there a way to adjust the throttle plate other than by tweaking the idle
screw?

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Milosz Kardasinski
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:01 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] IAC whistles at idle

The whistling is caused by the iac bypass air. It comes from the fact that
your iac is
bypassing lots of air which in turn is approaching super sonic speeds. You
shouldn't have
whistling at idle when your motor is at operating temp. If you do then you
need to
open your throttle plate more. Some whistling is allowed when the motor is
cold
but once your up to temperature you should adjust your throttle plate so
that it goes
away.

This assumes that you don't have one of those throttle body spacers
installed if you do
9 out of 10 the whistle is caused by the TBI spacer.

Goat