[Diy_efi] turbo

Mike niche
Thu Jul 6 05:44:07 UTC 2006

At 07:50 AM 7/6/06, you wrote:
>>I imagine by now if they were in the sump, they will probably have found their way into the oil filter :-)
>
>Probably not, you'd know it almost certain. Gotta pass through the oil pump to get to the filter. If you're lucky, they're "gone with the wind" down the exhaust pipe, or sitting around the drainplug, waiting to go out with the next oil change.

The feed to the oil filter on the Nissan 3L RB30 motor has a fairly fine steel
mesh, the holes in the mesh appear to be just under 1mm dia.

When I first took my sump off, to inspect/change a few big end bearings, I
found the mesh covered in bits of sump cork gasket remnants effectively
occluding the flow. Whilst I had the sump out I drilled a 30mm hole directly
under the oil pickup mesh and put a large plug in, so next time I can check
there isnt anything else jamming there and take it out without going through
the tortuous procedure of jacking up engine in body to get sump off...

So its possible there is a mesh filter on your oil pickup and if the engine
hasnt had the sump off for a long time, I'd check the mesh hasnt got crud
built up in it plus the odd bearing splinter too,

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au