[Diy_efi] Knock retard and Race gas

Jim Butterfield jimbutterfield
Tue Jul 11 23:03:56 UTC 2006

Yes Rick... quite a few guys run smaller pulleys on the street and they get about 3-5 degrees of what we call Knock retard... where the computer backs off its max timing for that RPM/MAFF table.... and yes some bone heads went to the track and said "Oh yea give me 5 gal of race gas", not paying attentionto the gas pumper and getting leaded... bye bye O2 sensor after that weekend

  jim

"Frey, Richard K" <rfrey at iupui.edu> wrote:
  Agreed, in the absence of some tuning, higher compression, more advance
or more boost, leaner mixture, the race fuel will be a waste of money.
Further, when you step in the realm of leaded race fuels, you catalytic
converter is at risk as well as your O2 sensor.

rick frey

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
On Behalf Of Jim Butterfield
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:14 PM
To: efi list
Subject: [Diy_efi] Knock retard and Race gas

Isn't there someone on this BB that has a masters degree in Internal
combustion??? if not Others might know. On a local club board we are
discussing higher octane race fuel ( 100/103) vs standard 98/93 pump
fuel and knock. We all know how well it will reduce some knock (KR) that
our 3800 series 2 Supercharged ( pontiac grand prix 97-03) cars from
compression ( supercharger) of the air mixutre ( which heats it)... It
wil reduce the knock via more complete combustion and reducing the KR we
get form the supercharger... the question comes up

If a car has 0 knock ( detonation) and you put hight octane gas in the
tank for race purposes, does it give you an advantage, or are you
waisting your money??? Personally I think that even if you dont get the
advantage of reduced knock your still getting a better combustion and
therefore a more power from the cylinder... Yes/NO

jim