[Diy_efi] Knock retard and Race gas

Mike niche
Wed Jul 12 18:11:34 UTC 2006

At 07:27 PM 7/12/06, you wrote:
>At 07:01 AM 7/12/06, you wrote:
>>Rob is there no benefit of better combustion because of cleaner burn....????
>
>? Thats the first time Ive heard suggestion that higher octane fuels burn
>more cleanly, most of the components are the same its the mix thats
>important, relative proportions etc.

<cough> Adding to my own post here...

Now that I recall, the higher octane benzenes which were used many years
ago did burn more cleanly however, these were also rather carcinogenic
so were not used to anywhere the same level, so we are back to the long
straight chain molecules and the heptane/octane ratio is the one which
most often influences the practical octane rating and these had no
noticable difference in emissions...

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au