[Diy_efi] Knock retard and Race gas

Tom Visel five10man
Wed Jul 12 18:45:25 UTC 2006

A cleaner burn might be achieved if preignition were avoided. :)

I know empirically that higher octane pump fuel leads to harder starts
in cold weather at high altitudes.  I am taught that this is due to its
lesser volatility.  Since increased volatility improves mixture
homogeneity, it would be reasonable to assume (EPA tests pending) that
fuel of higher octane actually gives a less clean burn, with pockets of
richer and leaner mixture in the chamber.

Fewer deposits do generally follow the use of a "top tier" fuel, which
most folks think they're getting when they buy premium.  I used to think
the "Chevron with Techron" smiley-car commercials were BS until I'd
replaced or cleaned enough GM Vortec injectors and read about the spec
fuel GM used to develop and test those injectors.  Care to guess the brand?

TomV