[Diy_efi] Nissan engine

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Tue Jun 6 09:48:27 UTC 2006

Well, I took the information from a "service message" from the swedish
Bosch organization (Group 250 no 5, 1982.04.21). Now when i read it
another time, it seems like also the earlier ECUs were manufactured by
JECS, but pin compatible to Bosch L-jetronic.
It says the following (directly translated from swedish):

"
Usage of Bosch L-jetronic tester on Datsun
Datsun model S 130 = 280ZX  is imported to Sweden with L-jetronic of the
JECS brand. Model 910 (Bluebird) is available in Sweden only with
carburetor or diesel. Model S 110 is not imported to Sweden.

Bosch L-jetronic tester ETJ 002.02 (analogue) can not directly be
connected to the L-jetronic system on Datsun S 130 manufactured from
July 1981 on due to changed connections in the ECU and connector. To
test wiring harness and ECU of the new model, two adapter cables are
necessary. On cars before July 1981, the tester can be directly connected.

WARNING:
Connection of the tester without adapter cables to the L-jetronic system
in cars manufactured from July 1981 on will cause damage to the ECU and
wiring harness due to short circuit!

Identification on ECUs of the new model:
1. Instruction decal with english text on the bottom side of the ECU.
2. The connector of the wiring harness BLUE instead of earlier BLACK.

Adapter cable 1, part number EG 113 10 100, for connection of the
vehicle's harness to L-jetronic tester ETJ 002.02

Adapter cable 2, part number EG 113 50 100, for connection of the ECU to
L-jetronic tester ETJ 002.02

The adapter cables can be ordered at a Datsun/Nissan representative.
"

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman

Tom Visel wrote:
> How certain are you on this?  I have a reason for asking - another shop
> just asked me to come over and resurrect their 1978 (11/'77) 280Z
> restoration project.  They have two ECUs, both JECS, neither of which
> run the car.  Are you saying that Nissan used straight L-jet before July
> '81, and these two ECUs are both incorrect?  This might be consistent,
> as the car never ran the whole time they had it in their shop.  Now that
> I got the plug wires in order, it will run on brake cleaner.  Both of
> the ECUs are p/n A11-601 000.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> TomV
>

> Torbj?rn Forsman wrote:
>
>> The 280 ZX used Bosch L-jetronic on cars manufactured up to June 1981.
>> From July 1981 on, they use a japanese injection system (made by JECS,
>> Japan Electronic Control Systems) which is very similar to L-jetronic.
>> But beware, although the japanese ECU uses the same 35-pin connector
>> as L-jetronic, the pinning is completely different!
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Torbj?rn Forsman
>>
>> Ian Molton wrote:
>>
>>> Hey there.
>>>
>>> Well, I've taken on another project (despite my daily driver being in
>>> such bad shape - I must be mad).
>>>
>>> I've acquired a Datsun 280 ZX as a restoration project.
>>>
>>> Questions about the engine (which I havent seen yet).
>>>
>>> 1) Is it a Bosch L-Jet as I've seen mentioned on some sites ?
>>> 2) Can the injection system be replaced with something more modern (I
>>> know the existing one is in bad shape) like Megasquirt? Has this
>>> 'been done' on this engine ?
>>> 3) I know the engine can be turbo'd so any solution I add now I would
>>> like to be able to use after adding the turbo.
>>> 4) I have zero experience of petrols - this one has been standing for
>>> 6 years so I assume its going to need some TLC to get it running