[Diy_efi] (no subject)

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Tue Jun 6 09:49:41 UTC 2006

It is definitively no problem to use E85 (at least the E85 fuel
available in Sweden) in old carbureted cars.
Usually, the conversion is just a matter of changing to bigger main
jets. An area increase of about 30 %, i.e. a diameter increase of 15 % ,
will often work well.
To get good fuel economy, the ignition timing can be adjusted somewhat
(typically 5-7 degrees) earlier than for gasoline.
Furthermore, it is important to have good intake air preheating. On old
cars with a hand operated preheating flap, it can usually be left in the
"winter" position all year around. In case of thermostat controlled
preheating, make sure that it operates as intended and, if possible, try
to adjust the thermostat for a higher temperature than usual.

On an old car, there is often much gum residue from gasoline in the fuel
system. This residue will dissolve in E85 and may then clog the fuel
filter(s). It is common to have to replace the fuel filter and possibly
clean the carb several times during the first months on E85. Don't
forget the filters that might be integrated in the tank armature, fuel
pump and carb!
Old, brittle fuel hoses might become leaky when the gum deposits are
washed away (perhaps the rubber is so porous that the gum was necessary
for sealing).

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman