[Diy_efi] RE: El Camino carb to EFI/FFV conversion

Frederick Trient gpzmotoman
Wed Jun 7 18:04:06 UTC 2006

On Jun 5, 2006, at 12:38 PM, John Smith1882 wrote:
> (snip)

> MegaSquirt seems to be the best diy option available these days. I
> tried screwing with binaries and roms on a Nissan system(which some
> would say is simpler than GMs) and it is a huge pain IMO.
> MegaSquirt is hugely flexible, massively upgradable, cheap, and
> easy to use.

Yes, I'm getting the impression just from a week of probing the
subject that MegaSquirt is the leading candidate. I will definitely
be looking closer at it.

> In the meantime I would like to know why your EL Camino gets such
> horrible economy......unless it has a big engine and an automatic.
> What engine/trans/modifications does it have? How fast is it
> usually driven? Does the trans have OD?

Don't know. Have not really spent any time retuning so it may be that
the carb is not right. It's a 283 / Edelbrock 700cfm 4 brl / Winters
alum intake / K&N filter / stock cast iron exhaust manif / MSD dist /
4 spd manual trans. Internal engine mods are unknown and it is driven
relatively sedately but predominately stop'n'go city driving. It's
just occurred to me that I should check the choke functioning.
Thanks for replying and also for confirming my suspicion that
different mapping is necessary. If my casual reading was close
enough, I believe that the ethanol has a lower "latent heat" (proper
term?) than gasoline. Have never seen a stoich. figure for straight
ethanol or E85.

Thanks again,
Fred