[Diy_efi] O2 says rich, car runs lean.

Michael Richards michael
Tue Jun 13 03:21:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:39:44 -0700, John Smith1882 wrote...

> Just some personal observation that may support this....Something I've
> noticed is that many OEMs omit O2 sensor input at wide open throttle
> and run on the fuel table without feedback mixture adjustment. This
> would make sense since the narrowband is only accurate during lean
> cruise and WOT/high load would require AFRs richer than 14.7:1. Am I
> on the right track?

You are on the right track. OEMs do drop out of closed loop for this
reason. However you will note that many OEMs are now using wideband
sensors in their management. The extra accuracy can be used to help
these vehicles pass more stringent emissions regulations and provide
better horsepower numbers.

-Michael