[Diy_efi] O2 says rich, car runs lean..

Daniel Nicoson A6intruder
Tue Jun 13 03:26:25 UTC 2006

Bottom post.
-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]On
Behalf Of Michael Richards
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:44 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] O2 says rich, car runs lean..

<snip>
My suggestion is to replace the narrow band with a wideband that also
has a narrow output. This way you can have a proper temp-compensated and
accurate O2 reading converted to narrow band plus have a proper mixture
display on the dash.
-Michael
<snip>
Michael,

Question on the WB's that give NB output.  Is it accurate NB output, meaning
is it cycling in closed loop showing hi-lo as a real NB would?  Or, does it
just give a simulated output voltage signal that stay's within an acceptable
range to not trigger problems?

With accurate NB output the stock ECM can still do its legitimate tuning in
closed loop.  If simulated, you may not have the ECM working for you in the
closed loop operation.

Curious.  I use a third bung with my DIY-WB sensor and leave the stock O2's
in place to do their thing for closed loop operation.  Works for me.  Just
curious how those "store-bought" units work.

Thanks,

Dan Nicoson