[Diy_efi] Can constant WOT operation destroy a muffler?

Lee M. Lemoine llemoine
Thu Jun 15 14:07:03 UTC 2006

if you've got access to one, a K-type thermocouple pyrometer will give you
an indication of how hot the mufflers actually getting.  My thoughts on this
include that of some sort of exhaust shield.  My bronco 2 had a resonator
that would split as you mentioned, and it would do that simply until the
sheild was put back on.   Apparantly the temperature differentials of the
heat of the exhaust and getting it wet (or driving it in snow) was enough to
fatigue it pretty quickly.

Best regards

-- Lee