[Diy_efi] Re: Can constant WOT operation destroy a muffler?

Andy Harvilla higrafey
Mon Jun 19 03:34:22 UTC 2006

I've been out for a few days working on my Camaro... trying to get a
serpentine belt conversion going and doing a bit of painting.  Fun
stuff.

I haven't seen a weep hole in the muffler -- they've all been sealed
so far.  I didn't even think about the inherent condensation that
forms as the exhaust cools down.  The cold winters here in Pittsburgh
aren't easy on anything automotive-related, but I wonder if the
surface rust is coming from something other than the climate.  The
8000-mile-old muffler on my '98 Jeep Cherokee shows absolutely no
rust and it's seen as much use as the Wrangler (plus a winter).  THAT
one needs replaced (I just can't win!) but it appears to be related
to the mounting, as there's a clear leak at the pipe inlet on the
front of the muffler.  On the Wrangler, I've tried one other brand
and it's failed, too.  My friend has used a few as well, finally
settling on an expensive ($150) model that's been holding up.  Maybe
it has a thicker wall or something.

When I replace this muffler I'll talk to the auto parts store and see
if my free replacement is valid if I cut the old one open.  I'm
curious to see how the inside looks and maybe find a reason for the
short life.  Thanks for the help and suggestions.  I'll keep posted
as to what I find.

Andy