[Diy_efi] Ignition/coil

Bill Washington bill.washington
Fri Mar 24 07:15:18 UTC 2006

David,
	Most coils are 9V fed thru a ballast resistor during normal running to drop the
12V(nominal 14V really) to about 9V. During cranking the ballast resistor is
shorted out to provide extra 'oomph' because the battery voltage sags during
cranking.
	If you go looking for this 'Ballast' resistor in most cars you will not find it
because the actual wiring is sized (small) to provide the resistance, and during
cranking a lower resistance path is connected in parallel either by the ignition
switch or by a relay.
	In a ballast resistor system, if the supply side has been modified (ie the
resistive wire bypassed) or the relay has failed with the contacts permanently
closed you will have lots of spark but a short coil life....
	If the car was designed for a 12V coil, ie it does not have a ballast resistor
and a 9V coil is fitted the result is the same - lots of spark, short coil life.

	Some years ago an "auto electrician" without my knowledge fitted a Bosch GT40R
(9V) coil in place of my GT40 (12V) coil when a workshop had trouble starting my
car (I had told them that they would not be able to start it and to call me, but
they "knew" better) - My car had a 12V coil standard - and no ballast resistor -
the coil only lasted a few weeks!!! and I had to replace it - the workshop
refused to accept any responsibility - needless to say they have never seen any
of my cars again!!!!

Just some thoughts
Best Regards
Bill