[Diy_efi] LPG injection

Phil Lamovie phil
Fri May 12 18:13:02 UTC 2006

Ian asked...

>>> what sort of MPG increase (if any) can you get from LPG converting a
>>> diesel ?

The Diesels that I was working with were  stationary engines that had
17:1 compression that I lowered to 14.5:1 so there was a small loss in
thermal efficiency.

On the other hand I could run at 20:1 A/F ratio at part throttle which
is more useful for a vehicle than a generator.

>>> I have a Daihatsu charade with the CL-61 (3 pot 1.0 turbo diesel). it
>>> gets 66MPG cruising and 55 odd round town (not bad IMO!). how intrusive
>>> would a conversion be for this engine ?

If your engine could accept an injector swap and a fuel rail installation
as well as spark plugs, coils and all the wiring as well as a throttle body.
Then of course there is the tank and the associated plumbing and safety shields.

Not much really. :)

>>> how cold do the injectors get compared to running on diesel? the one
>>> thing I dont want is a cracked head from meddling too much with the
>>> thermal parameters of the engine.

The injectors don't get cold. The fuel exits the injector in a liquid form
all the heat comes from air and metal.

HTH

Phil