[Diy_efi] (no subject)

ENSEMBLE J-HOLLAND j_holland
Thu May 18 17:08:02 UTC 2006

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:00:02 +0200
From: Torbj?rn Forsman <torbjorn.forsman at gengas.nu>
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] RE:Ignition amplifier Bosch 0-227-100-200
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org

The power stage of most ignition amplifiers from mid-70's to today is a
darlington power transistor, usually with an integrated C-B zener diode
to force turning on the transistor in case of too high transient
voltages. In some cases, an emitter resistor and current limiting
circuitry might be located on the same chip (and then, it becomes
relevant to talk about an IC).
Some semiconductor manufacturers market IGBTs and Mosfets for ignition
applications, but i am not sure where those might be used.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman

  Bosch used to publish a technical manual on electronic ignition systems, inside they published schematics for their system(s) and that showed the output transistor as a Darlington pair. The manual I saw was in a college library back in 1998/9 but was out of print. I have seen IGBTs marketed for ignition systems on small 2 strokes.