[Diy_efi] Any USB developers out there?

Mike niche
Wed Nov 8 09:47:54 UTC 2006

At 01:50 PM 11/8/06, you wrote:
>There's an application called USBview available from Microsoft or FTDI that allows you to view all the enumeration data that your device is reporting.  That might help.

Theres an interesting issue about USB which I've thought clarifying somewhere
without having to wade through numerous tech docs and that is the low speed
backward compatability. In theory this would allow almost any, even low
end single chip microprocessors to read the serial stream directly in software
at around 19.2 Kbits/sec ( or thereabouts) without the need for a dedicated
hardware USB chip and handle all the protocols leaving some processing over
for the "real stuff" it is there for in the first place. The consequence clearly is
that any other devices on that USB channel will be also running low but as most
PCs these days have 4 USB ports then - 'what the heck'...  So if this were the case
then a truly low end opportunity exists for good firmware programmers at the low
end embedded level to interface to engine electronics. Is 19.2K the lowest with
a low granularity or could 32K, 56K etc be ok if the cpu can handle it ?

If I had the time (and motivation) I'd join the relevant USB groups but as there appears
to be greater uptake of USB in relation to automotives, then, for the time being, I'm
just offering the above para and looking forward to a comment from anyone that
has already explored that side or is likely too - maybe to get some critical mass going
as, if I/we can get this clarified, then it might open up a few interesting automotive
related opportunities and there are heaps :)   ?

Regards from

Mike Massen
Network Power Systems
Lab 08 9444 8961
Mb 0438 048961
Perth, Western Australia
* VL/VK GMH Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
* RB30 Skyline/Nissan/VL Milspec ignition drivers now in economy trials
* Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
* Industrial grade PolyVinyliDeneChloride (PVDC Copolymer) in bulk, the best
  oxygen and water protective barrier you can find for circuit boards.
Web site under construction   http://niche.iinet.net.au