[Diy_efi] Temperature/Pressure sensors

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Fri Nov 10 16:46:01 UTC 2006

The LM335 and most other IC temperature sensors (there are also some
with digital interface, for example I2C) have a reputation for bad
reliability in the field, especially in severe environments as in
vehicle engine compartments, heavy industry etc. There are good reasons
why all mass produced engine management systems still use NTC or nickel
resistance (PTC) temperature sensors instead.

For the most common NTC sensors, there are just three basic types to
take care of.

The "Bosch" temperature sensor, also used by many other japanese and
european manufacturers, has a characteristic which is to be found here:
http://www.epcos.com/inf/50/db/ntc_06/LeadlessDisks__B57220__K220.pdf

GM's standard sensor, used for many years on their C3 and P4 systems has
this characteristic:
http://www.epcos.com/inf/50/db/ntc_06/Leaded__NTC__B57962__S962.pdf

Ford uses NTC temperature sensors with a resistance about 33 kohm at +25
?C. I haven't found any good documentation on those.

Characteristics for nickel PTC sensors (seldomly found, mostly on french
and japanese systems) can be found here:
http://www.oiml.org/publications/R/R084-e03.pdf

When calculating the temperature - voltage graph, one must know the
resistance of the pull-up resistor in the ECU as well as the supply
voltage (almost always 5 V) and if there is any resistor in parallel to
the sensor. This has to be done by reverse engineering the ECUs.

Bosch typically uses either 1,0 kohm, 2,7 kohm or 2,87 kohm pull-up in
their Motronic and (digital) Jetronic ECUs. Ignition ECUs (EZ) as well
as the analog L-jetronic, LE-, LU- and KE- ECUs have completely
unstandardized pull-up resistors. In some ECUs with 2,7 or 2,87 kohm
pull-up there may be a parallel resistor.

Japanse ECUs typically have 2,7 kohm pull-up, no parallel resistor.

GM uses 1,0 kohm or 348 ohms pull-up, no parallel resistor. In some
cases, there are two different pull-up resistors (one 348 ohms and one
in the 3 kohm range) that can be switched under software control to
increase the measurement range.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman