[Diy_efi] Rich detonation?

Mike niche
Sun Nov 19 06:58:04 UTC 2006

Is the rationale for what you say below, excess fuel, or can you
articulate just why the detonation occurs. I understand F1 engines
often shift to  use 4:1 afr (with methanol) and although there is reduced power
than running at just better than stoich for methanol - that the 4:1 ratio
still results in combustion but radically reduce stresses on exhaust
valves - vis a vis cooling the valves immediately after a hard run where the
integral of EGT over the last few seconds exceeds some maxima ?

Rgds

Mike