[Diy_efi] Rich detonation?

Mike niche
Mon Nov 20 06:56:29 UTC 2006

At 05:22 AM 11/20/06, you wrote:
>F1 engines dont run on alchool...AFAIK.

ok, I might have been thinking of nascar then, long time ago ~`:o

However, I recall that in respect of F1, the AFR shifted from
just over stoich to 4:1 as that thermal management tool mentioned,
which raises the question - where is this "rich detonation" in that
environment has it been sidestepped, did it exist in the first place ?

Is "rich detonation" a clearly defined effect. Or is it perhaps a consequence
of running very rich, causing huge carbon buildup then when normal stoich
occurs these carbon deposits cause pre-ignition which is interpreted
as if its detonation as it appears to be (closely) caused by the rich
condition - until such time as the preignition or detonation scours most
of the carbon off the various surfaces ?

So what is the mechanism of "rich detonation" ?

rgds

Mike