[Diy_efi] Rich detonation?

Becker, Damon Damon damonb
Tue Nov 21 06:51:11 UTC 2006

Sorry for not trimming.

Activation energy is being achieved in each case (rich and lean).  I don't think the answer lies in "which molecules break apart under which conditions" type of analysis.  Combustion Kinematics supports the "richer = faster combustion" theory.  To my surprise, there is a rich limit.  I have my degree in this stuff and I, honestly, don't fully understand why that max velocity exists.

Taking the issue one step further to the subject of the thread, I also am not 100% confident in my answer as to why rich detonation occurs.  I suppose I should have made that clear.

My reason this phonemona exists was what makes sense to me, given the research and experience I have, which both of which I think support my conclusions.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org on behalf of Adam Wade
	Sent: Mon 11/20/2006 10:51 AM
	To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
	Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] Rich detonation?

	That doesn't make sense.  Richer burns cooler, plus
	there are not enough oxygen atoms to completely
	combust the fuel in any given area.  Less fuel burning
	+ fuel burning at lower temp = slower burn rate (on
	both counts), if basic physics is correct.  Cooler
	temps mean fewer actual molecular breaks and
	reformations, as there's less energy available to do
	the breaking; fewer oxygen atoms mean that some
	fraction of the energy used in breaking apart the
	hydrocarbon chains never gets "returned-and-then-some"
	from oxidization.