[Diy_efi] Key-On Power for 7730

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Sun Oct 1 15:14:21 UTC 2006

Regarding current consumption of ignition coils, so do coils intended
for old breaker-point ignition systems operate at about amps. The
breaker points would wear too fast at higher currents.
Some coils limit the current by themselves, as the primary winding has
enough resistance (around 3 ohms for a 12 V system). Other coils have
less resistance in the primary winding (often 1-1.5 ohms) and such coils
always have an external ballast resistor when they are used in a breaker
point system. In some cars, the resistor might be implemented as a
resistance wire in the cable harness. There are two reasons for having
an external ballast resistor: First, it will give less power dissipation
and less heat in the ignition coil, giving it a longer life (and
possibly smaller dimensions). And second, there is the possibility to
short out the ballast resistor to facilitate cold starting.

On the other hand, electronic ignition systems (from about 1980 on)
usually has a current limiting power stage in the ignition module.
There, the current is usually 5 - 8 A and determined solely by the
ignition module. Such ignition coils usually have a very low primary
resistance (0.2 - 1,0 ohms) and should NEVER be used for breaker point
systems.

Some early electronic ignition systems from the 70's use similar
ignition coils and ballast resistors as the breaker point systems have.

A drawback of connecting a backward diode across a relay or solenoid
coil is that it in some cases will delay turn-off of the relay. Also,
the diode would blow up if the control voltage arrives with wrong polarity.
A better way is connecting an R-C link across the coil. The resistor
should be approximately the same value as the DC resistance of the relay
coil and the capacitor usually between 0.1 microfarad and a few
microfarads. The bigger relay, the bigger capacitor.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman