[Diy_efi] 88 Grand Prix

Ben P benof1987
Sun Oct 1 01:54:36 UTC 2006

i dont know anything about the buicks, but as a general rule, at least two
of those wires will be gear selector indicator, one will be a neutral/park
starter lockout, and one will activate the reverse lights. Once you find out
which wire is which, the lockout can either be connected to the manual (see
below) or bridged to give you an option if the the engine dies in the middle
of a train crossing.

There may also be an electronic speedo signal wire (or two) connected to a
'bolt-on'part of the gearbox. If this is present (and there is no speedo
cable, not to be confused with a kickdown cable, which sometimes are
attached in wierd spots), the same unit, or a similar one, should be present
on the manual gearbox. swapping the auto one over to the manual gearbox
should result in a working speedo (that is also correct if the diff ratio is
unchanged)

The other two wires on the manual gearbox may be neutral starter lockout
(yes, some manuals have them) and a reverse light switch.

Re. the rest of the conversion, check to see that the gearboxes are the same
length and have the same output spline. If they are (which is likely if the
gearbox you are using was available in the buick grand prix) then you wont
need a tailshaft, and as an added bonus, if the gearbox was available in the
buick, the gearbox crossmember (or at the very least the holes in the body
that it bolt to) should be the same.

happy conversion
Ben

(I'm going by what I need to do to my car to convert it to manual, except I
have 17 wires apart from the gear selector, lockouts, and speedo. bloody
electronic gearboxes need to know how hot your @$$ is before it gets out of
limp home mode...