[Diy_efi] Hydrogen

Bill Washington bill.washington
Fri Sep 8 00:16:19 UTC 2006

Gents,
    Some years ago I saw film of a demonstration comparing the safety of
cylinders of liquified Hydrogen vs LPG.
the cylinders (of similar volume) were setout on a weapons range and an
incendiary projectile was fired into each one to simulate a fracture
resulting from a vehicle collision.

The result:
The Hydrogen vented in a rising jet of (invisible) flame - yes hot but
not instantly catastrophic - anyone close by would have had a chance to
escape.

The LPG cylinder exploded instantly in a very large explosion which
would have obiterated anything/everything in a 20-30 yard radius and
severly damaged anything over a considerably larger area.

The conclusion presented was that the hydrogen was much safer, however
we have many LPG cars on the road and very few hydrogen .......

Yes 'manufacturing' and storage are an issue - the Huge pressures
involved not the least of them .....

I don't know, however that demonstration keeps coming to mind in view of
the comments and opinions that have been shared recently ....... I would
like to hear from someone with expertise and experience in the gas industry.

Regards
Bill