[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it? Speed factor?

Robert W Hughes rwhughe
Tue Sep 5 18:28:50 UTC 2006

> Up to a point - I mean, you certainly don't get the best gas mileage at
> 0 MPH!  There is some speed where a vehicle (probably different for
> every vehicle) gets the best gas mileage.  I would at least expect it to
> be in the top gear, and probably at a speed where the throttle is open
> enough to minimize pumping loss, and at the same time maintain closed
> loop operation.
> Somehow I doubt it's 55MPH - probably significantly faster for most
> modern cars.  The whole idea of reducing the speed limit to increase
> fuel economy is bogus.

Internal combustion engines do not have the same type of torque curve as
a rubber band so the simplistic slow down and save does not work. When
the 55mph limit first went into effect in 1974 I was driving a 1965
Corvair Corsa with 4 carburetors and some modifications. At 70 I had
been averaging 27mpg, at 55 I averaged 25mpg. As a slightly later
example my 1987 Fiero V6 normally got 27mpg at 55. One day I made a trip
at an average of 80mph and got 31mpg. I suspect that for a given body
and engine size, gearing and breathing characteristics (camshaft)
determine the road speed for best gas mileage and it is not always the
speed desired by the anti-destination league.
--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering
rwhughe at oplink.net