[Diy_efi] H2 embrittlement (was Re: Is E85 worth it?)

Phil Hunter diy-efi
Thu Sep 7 17:22:21 UTC 2006

"Regular" hydrogen does NOT cause embrittlement, it's IONIZED
H2 that does, like you can get when welding wet metal, chrome
plating, and in nuclear power plants. I've said this before,
I have a steel welding tank of H2, first inspection date I
can see is 1957, making the tank 50ish years old. If H2 caused
embrittlement, then why do they keep STAMPING the inspection
dates into the tank?!? There are tanks out there over 100
years old, still in regular service.

Same tank, I haven't used it for over a year, I could not
discern any loss in pressure. Yep, H2 leaks out of anything,
given enough time. I'm just SO worried about that, I'm shakin'
in my boots.

The pressure regulator is specific for H2, uses a metal diaphram.

-phil
(digest)