[Diy_efi] TPI Air Intake Temp Sensor Location

Bob Tom tigers
Thu Sep 7 03:17:12 UTC 2006

At 11:33 PM 9/2/06, Clair wrote:
>... does the air temp sensor care where it's mounted?  ...

Back around '99 or '00, I put the MP 4bbl M1 intake on my '97 5.2L
Dakota.  It did not have a place for the air temp sensor.  MP
subsequently offered a 2-bbl version which I believe has
a spot for the sensor.

A lot of the Dakota drag racers replace their stock air cleaners
with aftermarket air cleaners which run an air duct to bring in
colder outside air.  They relocate the sensor to the air duct
of these aftermarket air cleaners.

I personally have a dual duct air cleaner with an air duct running
to each side of the rad.  I did not opt to relocate the sensor
to a duct but decided to just put it inside an insulated foam cylinder
and placed it the air stream from the fan for street driving.  At the track,
I remove the sensor and put in a resistor which fools the pcm into thinking
the air temp is a constant 60F.  I have not noticed any ill effects
during normal driving.  On the track, it helps to keep the a/f mixture
richer at wot and at high rpms (above 5000).  My scanner does not show
that the resistor has any affects on timing.

As a mopar fan from way way back ;-) , I look forward to reading about
your project.

Bob
97 318 Dak CC, 13.76 @ 99.65
70 383 Challenger, 47000 original miles