[Diy_efi] Using GM '747 to control TCC lockup only

Rick McLeod dunvegan
Mon Sep 11 06:29:18 UTC 2006

It actually is rather painless, (punn) Painless makes a kit:

snip<
700R/4 TRANSMISSION TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK-UP KIT
#60109 - Now you can control the lockup converter on your overdrive transmission with your carbureted engine and not have to buy an expensive computer! With our easy to install Lock-Up Kit you don?t need the computer or speed sensor. A vacuum controlled 4th gear pressure switch/lock up solenoid combination controls the lockup. Comes with everything to complete the job including a pan gasket. Fits any 700R4 GM transmission.
>end-snip

or you can fab your own, search the archives for diagrams, I've seen them before

----- Original Message ----
From: David M. Ingebretsen <dingebre at 3dphysics.net>
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:59:10 PM
Subject: [Diy_efi] Using GM '747 to control TCC lockup only

I converted a Jeep 4.2 liter to a GM throttle body, works well. But, I'm
thinking of purchasing a MOPAR MPI conversion which was designed for that
engine.

My dilemma is that I have a 700R4 automatic in the thing and like that the
GM ECU ('747) controls the TCC lockup. I will lose that feature in the Mopar
unit.

Any ideas about the feasibility of using the '747 to just control the TCC
lockup?

I think I can piggy back off most of the sensors the TCC logic uses; temp,
speed, MAP, but I'm not sure about the throttle position. I saw a cable
throttle position sensor which might work.

What happens when the ECU isn't actually controlling the fuel anymore and
the closed loop logic gets feedback, but isn't controlling the system?

Is there a better way to automatically control the TCC and disable the other
processing in the GM ECU?

I just hate going to a switch on the dash. It's so "unelegant".

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics & Engineering, Inc.
2469 East Fort Union Boulevard, Ste 114
Salt Lake City, UT 84121