[Diy_efi] Mopar tuning?

Clair Davis clair.davis
Fri Sep 15 02:00:28 UTC 2006

I would bet that the Mopar PCM would handle an exhaust upgrade OK, probably
some sort of cold air intake setup as well, but add a cam to that mix, and
it would start to have problems.  As for tuning, there's very little
available to folks using OEM Mopar parts.  There's also no desire on the
part of Mopar to develop, or help develop, anything like that.

Mopar Action Magazine http://www.moparaction.com/ is working with some DCX
engineers to develop some "kit" EFI/PCM/harness arrangements to help adapt
the last generation (now discontinued) Magnum V8 engines to alternative
vehicles.  I.E., hotrods.  No tuning here, you get to choose from three
levels of tune: stone-cold stock; basic bolt-ons and MAYBE a mild cam; and
380hp crate engine specs.  That's it.  Nice on one hand that you can plug in
a known combo and it will run as well as any OEM-engineered system, because
it is.  Not so nice because that's only three points on a wide curve.

An example of one of the kits is being installed on their Savvy Savoy
project:
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/Savoy.html

The inability to tinker with things (and my inability to leave ANYTHING
alone) has kept me from looking very closely at any OEM Mopar system.  My
340 will be running (soon, I hope...) with a hodge-podge of Chevy and Mopar
parts.  If you need a hand with sorting out which sensors will swap around,
feel free to ask, I've done a lot of parts swapping and comparisons to see
what will replace what to fit my system.

Clair