[Diy_efi] Mopar tuning?

Clair Davis clair.davis
Sat Sep 16 01:48:28 UTC 2006

The main issues I had (and which may not apply to your project) were the
following:

IAC wiring - had to sort out hi/lo coils and the Mopar wiring diagrams
don't list them that way.  +/- for each coil is easy enough, but I
rolled the dice on which was hi/lo.  Shouldn't be an issue, but it's a
matter of swapping 4 wires around to fix it if I need to.  This ASSumes
a stepper motor IAC, not the Ford-type thing.  Since you're talking
Jeep, which was and still sort of continues to be its own thing,
ANYTHING could have been used.  Lots of AMC heritage clinging to that
division, and all the EFI control units for the trucks were developed by
the AMC/Jeep engineers.  Vastly different architecture than the pass car
controllers.

TPS function & wiring - My original GM TPS wouldn't bolt up to the
aftermarket Mopar throttle body (go fig), and the TPS I needed was
"handed" opposite from the OEM Magnum TPS.  That is, the throttle shaft
twisted CW rather than CCW, for example.  Found an earlier pre-Magnum TBI
TPS that
did the job, and even shared the GM connector.  Had to swap a couple
wires, though, and many of the Mopar TPS's aren't adjustable.  I'm
thinking the Mopar PCM reads the initial resistance and sets that as the
baseline.  I hope that's not a problem with my 7730.

MAP wiring - just a matter of making sure the wires in the connector are
correct for the sensor, and that the plug fits.  Another non-problem.

Clair