[Diy_efi] RE: Mopar tuning

Cad Company Support support
Wed Sep 20 20:21:13 UTC 2006

BMW TPS units are not adjustable, either, but when necessary, I drove the
brass bushing out of the hole, and used washers behind the screw heads, to
allow adjustment. If more adjustment is necessary, I suppose you could
probably drill the holes bigger or slot them like a GM using a Dremel. Just
be careful not to over tighten, as there is nothing left to prevent you from
crushing the plastic sensor housing. Of course, on BMWs, like GMs, there is
a shoulder that centers the sensor around the shaft in the middle of the
sensor. I don't know if Mopar sensors have anything besides the bolts to
center them, and if it isn't centered properly, it could potentially cause
binding, resulting in sensor failure or maybe even a stuck throttle.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Clair Davis
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 7:48 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Mopar tuning?

The main issues I had (and which may not apply to your project) were the
following:

IAC wiring - had to sort out hi/lo coils and the Mopar wiring diagrams
don't list them that way.  +/- for each coil is easy enough, but I
rolled the dice on which was hi/lo.  Shouldn't be an issue, but it's a
matter of swapping 4 wires around to fix it if I need to.  This ASSumes
a stepper motor IAC, not the Ford-type thing.  Since you're talking
Jeep, which was and still sort of continues to be its own thing,
ANYTHING could have been used.  Lots of AMC heritage clinging to that
division, and all the EFI control units for the trucks were developed by
the AMC/Jeep engineers.  Vastly different architecture than the pass car
controllers.

TPS function & wiring - My original GM TPS wouldn't bolt up to the
aftermarket Mopar throttle body (go fig), and the TPS I needed was
"handed" opposite from the OEM Magnum TPS.  That is, the throttle shaft
twisted CW rather than CCW, for example.  Found an earlier pre-Magnum TBI
TPS that
did the job, and even shared the GM connector.  Had to swap a couple
wires, though, and many of the Mopar TPS's aren't adjustable.  I'm
thinking the Mopar PCM reads the initial resistance and sets that as the
baseline.  I hope that's not a problem with my 7730.

MAP wiring - just a matter of making sure the wires in the connector are
correct for the sensor, and that the plug fits.  Another non-problem.

Clair