[Diy_efi] 60-2 Toothwheel - Kalman Filter or ( EKF ) usage

Bruce A Bowling bbowling
Fri Apr 6 20:46:09 UTC 2007

This is a great response, and when I posed the question I was not even thinking about how intertial effects change the shape of the crank rate-of-change time profile. It does, and it makes things even more sticky. You do win the medal!

The part I was honing in came out when we did the error analysis some time back. The simple analysis was to assume that there was a constant crankshaft rotational speed in which a future prediction was made. At this point the crankshaft undergoes a constant accleleration (or decel) factor. What is the error in the predicted vs. actual arrival time?

What comes out of the analysis is that the error term (it is a constant in this example) that comes from this grows with time. A slower RPM yields longer time periods, and the error simply grows over time.

Throw in the inertial effects will simply change the error magnitude, but the error will still compound as time goes on.

>From this analysis it is easy to see that more crankwheel teeth yield shorter time deltas for the same RPM, hence less error.

We'll let Mike come up with the derivation - after all he's has the credentials.... Or it is up over on the MS forum.

- Bruce