[Diy_efi] 928/749

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Thu Aug 16 03:59:01 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Shaw" <b.shaw at comcast.net>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:23 PM
Subject: [Diy_efi] 928/749

> The only weird thing I can put my finger on is with spark.  I move
> my inductive timing light from wire to wire checking for spark on
> all 8.  I'll find one not firing (it changes some times),  pull the
> wire off the spark plug,  insert another spark plug in the wire and
> ground the tip on the block and it will fire,  the timing light will
> light up.  Move the wire back to the plug in the block and it won't
> fire.  Pull the plug from the block,  put it in the plug wire and
> ground the electrode on the block and it will fire again.  WTF???
> This is driving me nuts.  I've pulled one plug wire off 3 times to
> check resistance, wiggled both ends and the whole wire looking for
> an intermittent break,  everything is great,  3.1k ohms per spec.

It's very common to see that sort of thing.  A weak spark can often
result in jumping the gap at atmospheric pressure, while not jumping
the gap when trying to light off compressed mixture in a combustion
chamber.

Find the source of your weak spark, and I imagine things will take
care of themselves once you fix that.

|    Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)     1985 RX-7 GSL-SE (Rex)    |
|    didn't matter what race or class the victims belonged to.  |
|               had come up again." -Kurt Vonnegut              |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com - http://tinyurl.com/2qxnyu |