[Diy_efi] fuel tank fittings

wdsmith mediasmith
Wed Aug 29 14:38:14 UTC 2007

I'm a bit new to this list but plastic welding and I go back a long,
long time.
Like a lot of other things, it can be done but I haven't found it quite
as easy as the infomercials make it look.
I don't want to discourage you but to make you aware that higher
expectations have farther to fall.

That said, there are two basic ways to repair-weld plastic. Both require
heat and good heat control.

One sold by Harbor Freight (and many others)  is a hot air torch.  It
requires a supply of low pressure (around 3 psi I think) supply of
compressed air which passes through a heating element before exiting  at
the nozzle.  These work OK after you get the hang of it. It has limited
heat output so initial heating is rather slow but once you get a
"puddle" started it is not so bad. You will need a backup or the weld
bead area will sink in the HAZ.  Material composition is important. The
best source of filler rod is strips cut from the material you are
joining.  The process is very similar to O/A welding aluminum without
the flux.  The parent material must be clean and well-fitted. There is
little visual clue to the temp of the parent material.

On a side note, I have actually used a small O/A torch to weld
polyethylene before I bought a hot air torch. It works but you do need
to give it your full attention.

The second method is really not much more than a small soldering iron
with a special tip. The special tip is made of brass. It has a flat
bottom surface shaped much like an old "sad iron."  There is a funneled
hole on the top side which allows you to feed filler rod through the
tip.  This type works too and, in some respects, is easier to come to
terms with.  I have two minor complaints; (1) You are limited to
manufactured filler material (2) The wattage is a bit low for my liking.

Now, if you have read between the lines, you are probably wondering why
you can't just grab an old soldering iron 9or a cheap new one) and get busy?

I can't think of any reason.

I also cannot think of any reason you can't experiment on some scrap and
later modify or make a tip to your own satisfaction.

So, as somebody once said, Give 'em hell, Herbie!  Go get your feet wet
before spending any substantial money.

Good luck.
wds