[Diy_efi] OT - interesting little engine

Jason McNamara galaxiecustom500
Tue Feb 6 17:23:14 UTC 2007

Believe the majority of teams cut their cars up to help build the next one.  Stuff like differentials, brakes, wheels etc.. that may not get changed on every redesign.  We're lucky that we have enough sponsership that even when a particular part of the car isn'd redesigned we still can make another one.

  Our old cars usually end up in the hands of the team captian of the year they were built.  We also keep 1-2 old cars for training purposes/finding the good drivers.  Currently we have car 106 (2004) and 81/70 (2006 east/west comp. #) as complete and running.

  Car #36 (2003/buckeye burnout) was finally retired last summer, it left the shop minus the engine, ECU, dampners and a few other misc. items.

  #10 (2005) also left the shop last summer.  Kevin says it will be running in a year or two, but it was basically a bare chassis with suspension control arms, uprights and a wiring harness.  The rear uprights got trashed with bearing failures.  Was a bit of a bastard car.  Originally it was going to be a carbon front chassis with rear steel space frame but we simply couldn't get carbon fiber to make the molds with.  Between Boeing, Airbus and the military production capacity of the particular fiber/weave was used up.  Making a short story long, we didn't give up on carbon until late in the year so an all steel car was designed and thrown together in a month.

Mike V <efi at dyakron.com> wrote:
  Thanks Jason,
I imagine the finished projects are pretty sought after
when they move to start the next one.
mv