[Diy_efi] Ford 460 MPI and controllers - and a note on the Valiant

Clair Davis clair.davis
Tue Feb 13 02:23:32 UTC 2007

After hitting ebay last night, it looks like the EFI manifolds for 460's are
nearly a dime a dozen.  They're not very sexy as manifolds go, pretty
low-profile, but they only have to flow air, I suppose.  Anyone know if
there was a simple locked-advance distributor used on those critters?  Not
sure if Ford played with computer-controlled timing w/o EFI to the extent
that Chrysler did in the late-70's and early 80's.  I know one of those
would do the trick from a spark standpoint.

A note on my Valiant:  It's a 69 2-door sedan, white, of course, and I'm
running a 340 (5.6L) V8.  The engine is pretty tame in general, it's set up
to be a warm daily driver and autocross racer once I get her back on the
road for good.  Crane HMVV272 cam, 8.5:1 CR, headers, exhaust, the usual
hot-rod tweaks.  In carbed form, she made 260hp at the rear wheels, through
a 4-speed trans.  The EFI is based on a 7730 box with a chip provided by the
folks that set up the bones of my kit.  I've changed a lot of parts in the
kit as I adapted it to what I wanted to achieve visually, and from a
parts-replacement perspective.  Mopar billet throttle body, M1 single-plane
intake with injector bosses, Magnum truck fuel rails, IAC motor, MAP sensor,
& TPS, adjustable FPR, Ford F-150 external fuel pump, Facet lift pump, and
VW surge tank.  So far, she runs well enough, but she doesn't recover well
if you blip the throttle at idle, and doesn't establish an idle well when
cold.  I think my IAC may still not be set up right.  That said, throttle
response is GREAT, and once I can get her to idle with a bit more vacuum,
she'll be happier, I'm sure.  The cam isn't hot enough to justify the
12"hg/320kPa she's seeing now.  She would idle at 13-14" with the carb, so
I've got some playing to do.

Clair