[Diy_efi] Progress

Steven P. Donegan steve
Sat Feb 24 18:14:47 UTC 2007

I did indeed look at the ION stuff - I had found a very simple current
mirror based circuit which I am fabbing with a 400K SPS ADC converter
for the project. The power supply I use was one I had custom made - 5V
to 290V 3W level. Absolutely noise free (OK like .001 or so) so we won't
have to filter anything from the current mirror readings. Ian and I are
leaning towards an FPGA, perhaps large enough for DSP, a CPU core etc -
ie almost a 1 chip ECU :-) The power supply I designed for this assumes
than anything coming from the vehicle battery is garbage. It should be
able to handle just about anything from 9V on the low side to 200V
spikes on the high side and keep on ticking :-) Now if the battery
doesn't have enough juice to fire the injectors or ignition that is a
whole different problem. The system as designed now does monitor the
battery input voltage after it's surge protected - so in theory we could
adjust injector and ignition dwell a bit to make up for a tired
system...

The Interceptor is housed/will be housed in a jameco #11965 cast
aluminum box - that should be small enough to find a home in any car and
in most motorcycles. That project will not have enough CPU to do
anything other than log/spoof. The ARM based (or CPU core on FPGA based)
design I'm working on with Ian is a whole different thing entirely. That
ECU will be able to do just about anything that can be imagined :-)