[Diy_efi] Donegan ECU

Jay Rabe jayrabe
Fri Jan 5 01:29:38 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Steven P. Donegan <donegan at donegan.org> wrote:

> I have not yet added OBDII to my project - it appears that I have to if
> it is going to be plug compatable for my Z28 so that will likely
> happen.
> My intent for this project is a universal EFI/ECM/PCM/MSD box -
> something useful on any engine up to 8 cylinders. If it lacks any inputs
> or outputs tell me and I'll add them :-)

A few things...

If you build this ecu only for a returnless fuel system, this limits what
fuel pumps you can use.    http://fuel-pumps.net/fuelpumpsfaq7.html#9
When writing the software i assume you'd give the option of a normal relay
powered style fuel pump.

So all this below would be in my dream standalone computer.  This is mostly
way over the top.

One thing i've always wanted to see implimented is something to make fueling
a variable vane (variable ar) turbo engine "easy" to control fuel.  I would
think an extra pressure transducer to monitor exhaust pressure before it
goes into the turbo would be very helpful to give a new compensation for MAP
systems.   Even MAF systems could probably benefit from this on the ignition
side of things.  Yeah these are not common, but i think having the ability
to fuel them properly will help their popularity and they are being used by
a few automakers.   This should help them become more common soon.  Also
some kind of circuitry to control the variable actuator.  Maybe a
potentiometer to monitor this?  Or, maybe just the actuator potentiometer is
enough for the fuel/ign compensation?

Another thing would be variable cam(s) control.  I've been dreaming of a
worm gear "solenoid" controled cam timing adjuster for timing belt engines.
It would probably need a potentiometer in it to know where it is.  This
could be very beneficial if done properly. I know, it would be tough to make
an adjuster blah, blah, it would be cool tho...  I know you can tell where
the timing is from the crank signal vs. the cam signal, but i like
potentiometers.   Grab a meter and see what position its by its voltage
instead of an oscilloscope and all that fun.

If you could make it OBD-II capable, you just might be building the next
step in standalone computers.  96 and newer cars who have to pass OBD port
only emissions could actually pass emissions.  It would probably never get
EPA certified if they knew it was going to be tunable.   OBD II port
replicators are illegal...  Maybe leak some software after the release???

A self learn circuit for fuel/ignition would be cool.  Id imagine it would
be mostly coding tho...

Wideband capability?  Not easy, but makes tuning very nice...

Boost control?  ...gear variable?

Traction control input or traction control?  Maybe like a rev limiter...
Maybe an adjustable slip allowance...

Launch control?

Full throttle shift?

Software/hardware to allow a secondary set of injectors?

Anti lag?  there is misfire and "jet engine" style

I wish i knew more about coding and electronics...

Jay