[Diy_efi] Donegan ECU

John Gross jogross3
Sun Jan 7 00:03:52 UTC 2007

Carter,
  Your points are well taken, and I admit I was thinking more along the
lines of a race car than a street car.  However, you touched on an issue
which could cause potential problems under idle, when you desire precise,
repeatable control of your total injector flow, and that is that you can
lower the pressure too much for that level of control of fuel for a given
injector.  This is one of the main reasons why some of the higher horsepower
injected engines out there have a tendency to use multilple injectors per
cylinder.  Sometimes those injectors are of the same size and sometimes
there is one that is significantly smaller for low rpm, light load
operation.  I have seen and dealt with both.  IMHO, if you want to run a
single injector per cylinder, and want to control the fuel pressure as a
function of load, I think you will find better reliability and overall
control of the system if you maintain a minimum pressure in the range of
40-45 psi, and increase the pressure under load from that point.  However,
even in such a situation, if you start with a set of 36 lb-hr injectors at
45 psi, if you are able to increase the pressure under load to 90 psi (which
would mean a large amount of fuel bypass at idle, both due to the low flow
requirements at or near idle, and because of the reduced pressure, your max
effective flow rate will be 51 lb-hr.  While this provides much better
dynamic range of the injector, there are two things to consider.  One is
that this strategy, while allowing good precise delivery at or near idle,
doesn't do anything to help out the life of your fuel pump, which I've
inferred is one reason behind looking into this control method.  The second
is that you mentioned that the main variables which affect the opening and
closing rate of the injector is the design of the injector itself.  While
this is true, if you are dealing with an injector that is designed to run at
45 psi, and you then subject it to 90 psi rail pressures, your opening and
closing events will be much different than at the design pressure.  This
will obviously effect the total fuel delivery at a given "design" pulse
width for the injector.

The strategy of increasing the fuel pressure above the design pressure as a
function of load for street cars is far from a new one, however.  This was
the strategy used by Ford on the Mustang SVOs and T-bird Turbo Coupes.  They
ran a line from the intake manifold to the spring side of the mechanical
regulator.

The most difficult part of the whole strategy of lowering your pressure at
light load and idle conditions is finding that minimum allowable fuel
pressure that still gives good, repeatable fuel flows while still
maintaining a good enough spray pattern for a high quality combustion event.

John