[Diy_efi] Donegan ECU

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Wed Jan 10 23:54:51 UTC 2007

--- John Gross <jogross3 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If your PWM idea is designed around saving the pump
> over time to make it last longer, what you can do
> if you so choose is to use the mechanical regulator
> to help you set your operating fuel pressure.  At
> different load conditions, you can adjust the PWM
> control on the fuel pump and back the pump down
> until your pressure starts to drop.

It strikes me that there is a great way of combining
all these ideas in a vehicle that does not require use
of leg-room for a passenger (i.e., a dedicated race
vehicle).

If you were to use a low-pressure, high-flow pump
inside the main fuel tank that fed a large surge tank
in the passenger footwell, perhaps 4-5 L or so, and a
higher-flow pump feeding a very short line to the fuel
rail, this one PWM controlled via the ECU.  This would
make for an especially rapid feedback loop, and would
keep the majority of the fuel in the main tank in the
rear.  The fuel in the "surge tank" could be
constantly cycled by the low-pressure pump in the
tank, and as an added extra, you could quickly rule
out failuers caused by running out of fuel or the
low-pressure pump or lines failing, merely by
observing the level of the "surge" tank from the
driver's seat.

Just a thought, but one that might make such a system
much more viable in a practical sense, especially in
terms of the ECU making changes to fuel volume
delivery quickly enough to prevent the need for
special compensations in "accelerator pump shot" calculations.

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |