[Diy_efi] Flap-type Airflow Meters/Data logger

Steven P. Donegan steve
Wed Jan 24 13:37:40 UTC 2007

Funny how great minds think alike :-) Take your typical shop vac - use
the 'blow' side of it as input to a throttle body, followed by MAF#1,
followed by MAF#2 - log both... Given a known table for MAF #1 (the GM
one) you can build a reasonably accurate starting point set of tables.

The re-design (circuitry) of the MAF translator to serve as a really
cheap data logger is 95% complete. C (I finally settled on the CCS C
compiler - 145$ for those that want to work on this hands-on) code for
5(ea) A/D channels, 2(ea) frequency/period channels (one for MAF
frequency, one for capture of injector pulse duty cycle) is ready to
test on my proto board this AM. The final data input for this board
which is 'wired' so to speak but not C coded is the interrupt which will
capture RPM/Crank TDC events. This is all based on my original PIC
16F876A microcontroller. I may just use it as a front-end to my bigger
EFI project - but for now it can just be a data logger. One more thing -
it has the outputs wired for RS-232 (for data logging) and LCD (for
in-car real-time display). The RS-232 is coded, the LCD output is not.
Initial board layout had the whole thing at 1.4 by 2.3 inches. I will
check my Jameco catalog for a good board size to fit an all-metal
enclosure and then use that board size...

Adam - this logger should be of equal use on the Bike project - ie go
ride the heck out of the bike and you capture all sensors/all outputs
and build a 'stock' set of maps...