[Diy_efi] Timing table change needed with CR increase?

Tom Visel five10man
Mon Jan 29 16:03:35 UTC 2007

It depends.  Sorry!  Do your cylinder heads have closed chambers? i.e.
is most of the combustion chamber's upper side composed of quench or
flat area, or is it mostly open to one degree or another?  Heads with
more quench area - where the piston comes close to the cylinder head and
squeezes the mixture into the combustion chamber - tend to be more knock
resistant.  Beyond that, heads without exposed sharp edges where thin
metal might retain heat and glow and light off pockets of the mixture
tend to be more knock resistant.  Pistons that have the minimum of extra
cuts in them tend to be more knock resistant, as well as pistons with a
thermal barrier.  Spark plugs of an incorrect length may result in sharp
edges being exposed inside the combustion chamber, acting like glow
plugs and causing preignition.  Find out what plugs you can/will use
while the heads are off.

Did you have any knock retard under acceleration before?  If so, and
your combustion chambers (including piston tops) were clean, then you
don't have much room to increase CR with making improvements in knock
resistance and/or retarding your timing.  If not, then you have room to
play - it's just a matter of finding out how much.  Either find a person
who's built the same engine, or be prepare for continued modifications
and programming.

TomV