[Diy_efi] Data logger progress

Steven P. Donegan steve
Tue Jan 30 01:30:26 UTC 2007

Today I finished board layout on the data logger/EFI front end system.
The unit fits on a 4.4 by 2.0 inch PCB specifically chosen to fit in a
JAMECO cast aluminum enclosure (see
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=11965 )

That box is 4.7 x 2.4 x 1.6 inches - it will have 2(ea) DB-25 connectors
for supplying input and output signals. It is shielded and has it's own
internal voltage regulator/power supply. Inputs include all the usual
analog ones (TPS, MAF, MAP, IAT, CTS, and injector duty cycle and I'm
sure I'm missing something) and outputs are 56K RS232 data readouts and
an LCD panel driver. Also an I2C/SPI output for using this as an input
to my ECU :-)

The software for it (C) is coming along nicely. I would welcome, at this
point, any volunteers to 'proofread' the circuit diagram and board
layout to determine where (not if) I have messed up :-) The next step is
having boards fabricated and I'd rather not create too much trash in
this process - i.e. any assistance is greatly welcomed.

Not counting whatever the PCB ends up costing the parts cost is likely
~45$ or so.

BTW - for those who have read my past posts on the ARM based ECU - this
is not a replacement for that project - it is a tool, useful on it's
own, and will likely become a front-end to that project. If nothing else
it will allow me to evaluate the analog signal conditioning/inputs.

Practical uses of this project:

1) You have an antique/unique/irreplacable etc vehicle with undocumented
sensors etc. So, take that flapper MAF, add a hot wire MAF and data log
the devices in series - you just mapped that old thing and voila - we
can build a translator for you...

2) That motorcycle with unobtanium ECU - map the gazinta's and the
gazouta's and we can build a plug compatable replacement...

3) It's just a fun data logger - enjoy :-)